Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Why I love my friends: A holiday post

Those who know me probably refer (hopefully lovingly) as a Nerd.  The capital N was intentional, and well deserved.  I'm getting too old to be one of the cool nerds; hopefully I'm old enough soon to be considered retro, and thus cool again.  That cycle gets shorter and shorter, so it shouldn't be long now.

As a result of my friends' knowledge of my nerdliness, I have received a few really, REALLY nerdy holiday gifts, with which I am inordinately pleased.

Exhibit 1:



This is, as you can see from the title, a fundamental bibliography of Don Quijote.  During my graduate class on Don Quijote, we read the Murillo edition, and would refer frequently to his footnotes for cultural clarification.  For our term papers, we were encouraged to consult this bibliography as a great starting point for finding source information.  The Bibliografía was no longer in print, though, and essentially impossible for a graduate student to acquire.  We all borrowed our professor's WELL-worn copy, and were grateful for the chance.

Since then, there have been an amazing number of times when I've wished I could pull up some quick articles about Quijote on some theme or another.  I've thought longingly of this bibliography, wishing I could refer to it just to see how much research had been done on the topic as of 1978.  And now I have a copy.

I know, nerdy, right?  But, admit it: kinda awesome.

Exhibit 2:


This, friends, is an ocarina, which is sweet enough.  But wait, there's more:



It's an Ocarina of Time!  This is a genuine replica of the instrument played by the intrepid hero Link in the video game classic The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time.  I played a few scales on the ocarina, and it has a good sound to it. 

I know, awesome, right?  But kind of nerdy.

The best part about this is that these came from different friends.  They're appealing to my nerdy nature from all sides!

Thank you, guys.  They're great.

NB:  I already had a Don Quijote tag, ready to use.  That's cool.

No comments: