Last year, I designed a project. I turned my school into a small city, gave each of my student a map to exactly half of the city, and had them talk on their cell phones to give each other directions to points unknown.
It was HARD. I had a print copy of the school's emergency exit map, but nobody seems to have a digital copy. So I had to manually create that. I had to assign street names to the hallways and store names to all the classrooms (the easy part). I had to secure permission from the administration, the custodial staff, and all of the individual teachers whose rooms I would be turning into churches and ice cream stores and municipal government buildings. (Not a problem, everyone said. Go for it.) I had to find a system for keeping all of those papers organized as I was hanging them up. That was the hard part. Last year I was one step away at all times from dropping an armload of papers all over the place and ruining everything. But I got it all up in time for the project, and from my perspective, it went very very well.
Flash forward to this year. It took me about 45 minutes--one planning period--to set the entire project up. And this year I'm doing it with three classes.
As I was agonizing last year over how to do all of these things, I made a lot of good decisions for longevity of the project. I made all of my materials reusable. I kept them uncharacteristically well organized. I made the project's outcomes align with what I wanted the learners to know and be able to do. We're going to call this one a lesson design win.