Saturday, March 6, 2010

Goals

Everybody's gotta have 'em.  I woke up feeling self-reflective.  And whenever I feel, I have to make it stop.  So here we are.

PERSONAL GOALS
1.)  I want to be the husband my wife deserves.  I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it.
2.)  I want to exercise more.  I'm not overweight--far from it--but I'm not as active as I like being.  Spring is coming.  Maybe this will be the year I get a bike.
3.)  I want to be interviewed by Robert Siegel or Melissa Block for doing something whimsical.  I debated this one--Morning Edition or All Things Considered?  Truth be told, I'm just not coherent enough in the morning.  The other sticking point--do I want to do something whimsical, or something heroic?  But heroics means that something bad is happening to someone else. 
4.)  I want to publish a short story, a novel, and an e-textbook.

PROFESSIONAL GOALS
1.)  I want to be the teacher my students need.  I'm almost to the point where I'm the teacher I need to be for me--now I need to do things that work for them.
2.)  I want to teach in el/middle/high schools for 30 years, then teach in a university until I'm 70.  I want my colleagues to miss me when I go.
3.)  This previous goal can be altered slightly, especially if some future president offers me a job as Secretary of Education or an ambassadorship.

No comments: