Saturday, August 16, 2008

The community of schools

To my colleagues: If you're looking for the post on Positive Behavior Support, please scroll down to the next entry. Or click here.

Texas school district to let teachers carry guns

I've never really understood the idea that carrying guns makes people safer. I TRULY don't understand the idea that teachers carrying guns makes students safer.

It's just possible that a rural district in Texas with fewer than 150 students will be able to have such a policy without disastrous unintended consequences (I'm thinking accidental shootings or unlicensed operators getting their hands on the guns). But I doubt it will help the district improve student safety in any meaningful way, either.

I also imagine a devastating effect on school culture. This is the first school in the United States to permit this, and nobody knows how it will play out. But I imagine that the presence of firearms will change the timbre of the basic social calculus of schools dramatically.

I don't know a lot about firearm safety, other than the many safety concerns raised by firearms. I'm prepared to eat crow if a teacher saves a classroom full of students with the help of her trusty 9, or even if such a move gives the school a long-term boost in public confidence and students' sense of safety. These outcomes are ridiculously unlikely, though, and compared with the potential hazards, I would call this a case of good intentions spawning bad policy.

Edited to include more effective ways of getting to other blog posts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am fully behind the second amendment and what I believe it states. I grew up around firearms. We had over fifty rifles, shotguns, and pistols in our house and we used them for hunting and target practice. I spent 10 years in the military and am a strong proponent of strength through firepower. But I truly believe putting guns in teachers or administrators hands in the school building will be a disaster. How as a society can we even think this is a safe for weapons be brought in a school. What is the message we are sending to our youth when we tell them to win the battle of school violence is to be violent as well. I to agree with Mr. Cosby that it will be interesting to watch and see what happens in Texas.